Our Rotable Management division processes and stores rotable components, managing the full repair cycle and supporting customer requirements for high levels of dispatch reliability. We provide full airline Rotable component support including BFE items
Almost 65% of all aircraft components that need systematic repair can be handled by our Component Services Unit – the remaining 35% are shipped to reputable repair partners. We manage and administer the entire process, including:
- Rotable planning
- Initial provisioning and re-provisioning
- Repair sub-contracting
INTEGRATED COMPONENT SERVICES
We are able to offer customers an integrated material management and rotable support program based on a per-flight-hour commercial arrangement.
This program, known as Integrated Component Services (ICS) can include all aspects of material management (procurement, planning and logistics) and guarantees availability of parts to an agreed service level.
Coupled with a pool access agreement, this will ensure:
- The freeing up of customer capital invested in inventory
- Access to a larger number of rotables around the flight network
- Certainty of maintenance and ownership cost
- Higher dispatch reliability